Steam means the water is warmer than the air, and it was true. Water temperature in the high 60s and air temperature in the 40s. Sunday morning meant the last of our 4 weekend dives to get our PADI Open Water Certification. Lake Rawlings is a really neat place, and can only be used by SCUBA divers. Thanks SCVT for setting all this up! That's Chris Pajonk behind me, sweet handstand!
Flying Solo: Day 2
Yeah… so not as awesome as day one. Started out with 3 Take Off and Landings (TO&Ls) with Cecil and my 3rd was a good pattern and a good landing. He asked if I wanted to try solo and I didn’t want to pass up the opportunity.
It stinks that there is construction currently and you have to back-taxi down the runway. This caused me to have to back taxi before every takeoff.
I made it back in one piece after each of my 3 solo TO&Ls, but it wasn’t very smooth.
- My patterns weren’t consistent,
- I had a big jump in altitude in one of them (150ft),
- I ran up some higher RPMs when I wasn’t trusting the numbers when turning base to final,
- There was some choppy air and peak gusts at 7,
- My last landing dolphined a bit and bounced a little (Lee and Rachel from the flying club were watching this last landing which was kind of embarassing).
Anyways, I was happy I got that experience, but I will focus on trusting the numbers, and flying smoothly the next time up. If the weather is good, We’ll be heading over to KPSK and he might let me do some TO&Ls there.
UPDATE: Here’s the track I took.
View Larger Map